Wicomico Drug Lawyer
Wicomico drug laws prohibit a wide range of drug-related activities, including the distribution or sale of dangerous controlled substances, as well as the possession of certain pharmaceutical medications without a valid prescription. If you have been charged with a drug offense, a Wicomico drug lawyer could help you fight the charges.
Fighting drug charges on your own could be difficult. A dedicated criminal lawyer who is thoroughly familiar with Wicomico drug laws could assist you in several ways if you are facing drug charges. A Wicomico drug lawyer could provide legal representation, develop a defense strategy, protect your constitutional rights, and fight for the best possible outcome in your case.
Drug and Controlled Substances Schedules
A wide range of illicit drugs, pharmaceutical medications, and other controlled substances are categorized according to one of five schedules under state law. The legal penalties for unlawful possession, use, manufacturing, sale, or distribution of a controlled substance vary based on the schedule to which the controlled substance has been assigned. Some of the primary types of controlled substances associated with each schedule include:
- Schedule I: Marijuana, heroin, ecstasy, LSD, and various hallucinogenic substances
- Schedule II: Cocaine, methamphetamines, opium, Oxycodone, Vicodin, Ritalin, and Adderall
- Schedule III: Various narcotics, anabolic steroids, and codeine
- Schedule IV: Sedatives, anti-anxiety medication, and epileptic medication
- Schedule V: Pain medications and cough suppressants with codeine
A Wicomico drug lawyer could answer questions about the five drug schedules and legal restrictions on controlled substances.
What Constitutes a Drug Offense
The state criminal code identifies a wide range of activities related to drugs and controlled substances as illegal. Examples of offenses that could result in drug charges in Wicomico include:
- Possession any amount of a drug or controlled dangerous substance
- Selling or advertising the sale of drug paraphernalia
- Manufacturing a controlled substance or its counterfeit
- Distributing or selling a controlled substance or its counterfeit
- Dispensing or distributing dangerous controlled substances near a school
- Being in possession of certain medications without a valid prescription
- Falsifying a medical prescription
A Wicomico drug attorney could answer questions regarding different types of drug offenses prohibited under the law. An experienced attorney could also review the specific drug charges against a person and develop a defense strategy.
Potential Penalties for Drug Offenses in Wicomico
The penalties for drug offenses involving controlled substances on Schedules I and II tend to be more severe than for offenses involving controlled substances on one of the other schedules. Many offenses involving Schedule I or Schedule II controlled substances are punishable by up to 20 years in prison and a $15,000 fine. Other types of drug offenses are punishable by a five-year prison sentence and a fine up to $15,000.
Mandatory participation in a drug treatment program can also be imposed for drug offenses in addition to possible incarceration and a fine. A drug lawyer in Wicomico could provide an overview of the penalties associated with different types of drug offenses in Wicomico.
Let a Wicomico Drug Attorney Assist
There is no reason to battle drug charges on your own. Understanding the different drug schedules and how they apply to your case can be confusing, and the legal system is not necessarily easy to navigate for anyone without professional legal knowledge. A Wicomico drug lawyer could help you navigate the complicated legal system and help you fight for an optimal outcome in your case.
In addition to fighting for the best possible outcome, an attorney could also safeguard your legal rights at all times. Speak with a Wicomico drug attorney about your case today.