Ellicott City Driving While Impaired Lawyer
If you are facing serious DWI charges in Montgomery County, call an Ellicott City driving while impaired lawyer. The consequences can have serious effects on your life. Family, finances, and relationships are all challenged by the possible penalties a DWI carries with it. If you find yourself in this situation, seeking legal help immediately is the best way to minimize these consequences so you can get on with your life. An Ellicott City driving while impaired lawyer can work to ensure that get the fair treatment that you deserve under Maryland state law. Call today and schedule a consultation to discuss your case with an Ellicott City DUI lawyer.
Ellicott City, Maryland Demographics
As an affluent, historical community, Ellicott City boasts a beautiful and polished downtown area. There are many wine cafes and bars that are at the heart of this tourist catering area. However, this poses a danger for those who struggle with driving after consuming alcohol. Of course, there are taxi services available, but when judgment is impaired, making sound choices is difficult.
The state of Maryland and Howard County do not deal lightly with DWI charges. The culture of fine wine and restaurants has not brought down the standard of safe driving. There are serious consequences for impaired driving. Finding an Ellicott City DWI Lawyer may be your best option for getting the least severe charges possible.
Penalties for DWI in Ellicott City
Ellicott City is interested in upholding public safety and ensuring that the roads do not pose a threat to safe drivers. DWIs are handled with appropriate seriousness. There are specific cases that have their own set of penalties. The first set of consequences has to do with DWIs from alcohol or a combination of alcohol and drugs:
- The first offense of driving while impaired by alcohol or a combination of alcohol and drugs carries a penalty of up to two months’ incarceration as well as up to $500 in fines.
- Any subsequent charges of DWI may be penalized by up to a year in jail, along with up to $1,000 in fines.
- If the impaired driver is found to have a minor in the car, the incarceration may be up to a year with up to $500 in fines, even if it is a first offense.
- Subsequent charges of DWI with a minor in the vehicle carry penalties of up to a year in jail with the possibility of up to $2,000 in fines.
The second set of consequences has to do with drivers who are found to be impaired by the use of controlled dangerous substances:
- A first offense of DWI from controlled dangerous substances may carry a penalty of up to one year of incarceration as well as up to $1,000 in fines.
- Subsequent violations may be penalized by up to two years in prison with up to $2,000 in fines.
- A first offense of impairment from controlled dangerous substances when a minor is found in the vehicle may be penalized by up to two years in prison and up to $2,000 in fines.
- Subsequent charges of DWI from controlled dangerous substances with a minor found in the vehicle may lead to as many as three years in prison with the possibility of a fine up to $3,000.
Clearly, this is very serious business. An Ellicott City DWI lawyer may be able to help you decrease your charges if you seek assistance. Charges are usually more severe if there is a minor found in the vehicle. First offenses also carry a lighter sentence.
Assistance From a Ellicott City DWI Lawyer
Ellicott City is committed to getting to the bottom of DWIs. If there is an addiction problem behind the behavior, there are programs that are offered or enforced that help people get the assistance they need. If you are convicted, your Ellicott City DWI lawyer can push to get you treatment or community service instead of jail time.
If you are fearful that you may receive a heavier penalty than you deserve for a DWI, you can take comfort from finding a DWI lawyer in Ellicott City.